This list of ten tips for facilitators comes from the book Facilitation: A Door to Creative Leadership by Blair Miller, Jonathan Vehar and Roger Firestien. In Roger's newletter "Innovation Expresso," he reprints these tips and states: "There are a number of factors that contribute to groups being uncreative. However, the most damaging creativity killer in a group is a poor facilitator." (See Jonathan Vehar's latest
1. Treat each other with respect.
2. Be supportive of each other's ideas.
3. Focus on the possibilities, not the obstacles.
4. Be curious, be suprised, have your thinking provoked.
5. Take responsibility for your own safety.
6. Encourage others with support, not pressure.
7. Acknowledge the contributions of others and appreciate their greatness.
8. Try to suspend your own judgments, certainties, and assumptions.
9. Be receptive to feedback and willing to change your thoughts, opinions, and behaviors.
10. Have fun! Don't take yourself too seriously.
Here's an 11th tip for ideation sessions: Read the Rules.